If you’ve been seriously hurt in a car accident, truck accident, or were injured due to the neglect or negligence of another party, you may have the right to seek damages for your medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other losses. The Doyle Law Firm is a personal injury law firm in Houma, Louisiana that may be able to assist you when pursuing a claim against negligent parties and with seeking a settlement from insurers. Before hiring a lawyer to represent you, you may want to take the time to chat with your attorney about your case. You get to choose and you can view your initial consultation with your attorney as an interview. Do you feel comfortable with the attorney? Do you feel like the attorney will be able to represent your particular case? Here are ten important questions you should ask before hiring your personal injury lawyer:
- What kind of personal injury cases do you handle? Some attorneys only specialize in certain types of claims, like car accidents, truck accidents, and slip and falls. The Doyle Law Firm handles a wide array of personal injury cases. We handle car and truck accident cases. But we also work with clients in class actions, motorcycle accidents, maritime accidents, medical malpractice, offshore drilling accidents, slip and fall, and wrongful death claims.
- Have you been successful in other cases similar to mine? A personal injury lawyer with experience will be likely to share about cases and clients with similar situations to yours. Ideally, your lawyer should have a plan for how your personal injury case will be handled.
- Do I have a case? Not every accident might require the services of a personal injury lawyer and not all cases might be defensible in trial. The Doyle Law Firm will take the time to understand your situation and can provide you with an honest assessment of your case.
- What is my case worth? Your personal injury attorney can review medical bills, rehabilitation expenses, pay stubs from lost wages, and evaluate whether you might be entitled to seek damages for pain and suffering.
- What is your plan for handling my personal injury case? The plan for your personal injury claim will depend on the nature of your case. In some situations, your lawyer may start by writing a demand letter to responsible parties and insurance companies. Or, your lawyer may gather evidence to take your case to court. Sometimes personal injury cases can be settled in a satisfactory manner outside of court, while other cases might require a trial.
- How long will it take to resolve my case? This will vary from case to case, and will depend on how responsible parties respond to your demands. However, your attorney should be able to provide you with a timeline of when things should happen and how they should move along.
- What is your success rate for cases that go to trial? Clients who have a lawyer willing to take their case to trial can sometimes see better settlements, even if the other party chooses to settle outside of court. Some lawyers are willing to take cases to court. Ideally, you want a lawyer who can take the case to court if needed, but who will work to settle the case outside of court in a satisfactory manner.
- Who will handle my case? Different people work for a law firm. Will your case be handled by the attorney or by a paralegal?
- Can I speak to one of your former clients? Get the information of a happy former client. This can allow you to get a better sense of your lawyer and how clients feel about his or her work.
- How are you paid? While most lawyers “don’t get paid unless you win” you might still be responsible for certain charges, like charges for hiring experts, making copies, and court fees. Ask your lawyer to explain how much your case will cost you, and how expenses will be handled if you don’t win.
These are just some of the questions you might want to ask your personal injury lawyer. Of course, it is important to come prepared with information relating to your case and additional questions you might have. As you speak to your lawyer, take the time to consider how you feel. Can the lawyer explain your case in clear, plain language? Do you feel comfortable?
If you’ve been hurt in Houma, Louisiana, the Doyle Law Firm is a personal injury law firm that fights for the rights of the injured. Brad Doyle is here to answer your questions. Contact Brad Doyle directly or reach out to USAttorneys.com today to get connected with the Doyle Law Firm.